by Kirk Hess, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Why Google Analytics?
- small tracking image (visible via Firebug) = mostly users not bots
- works across domains
- easy to integrate with existing system
Some useful things in the interface:
- heat map
- content drill down – click on page and see where users went from there
- visitor flow
Export Data Using API
- Analytics API
- export any field into a database for further analysis (in this case MySQL db)
- Which items are popular?
- How many time was an item viewed?
- Effective collection size – see if people seeing/using
- found typically, many things are not popular
- discover a lot of other things about users
- found, need to change site design
- change search weighting
- allow users to sort by popularity (based on previous data)
- recommender system – think Amazon
- add new tracking/new repositories
- analyze webstats – hard to look at direct access
The event analysis code has been posted on github and adding events to link code will be added later to his Github account.