It’s come up recently that we might consider revising our logo. I saw a coworker playing around with it and thought I’d give it a try.
The thinking behind it is simple. Transpose the letters into Braille, and then try to match the Braille version to a hexagonal grid.
Turns out the hardest is the first two letters, N, because in a hexagonal grid, you can’t really have two hexagons right next to each other touching. I ended up compromising by keeping to four “dots” and keeping the shape as close to the original as possible.
I also tried two versions, one where it was more just filling in of a full size grid (where you get to ignore the black line since that was a mistake), and the other where it was more similar to the current one where you only have the necessary hexagons, which I like more.
Honestly, I like our logo, so when I was playing around with it to maybe look more “accurate” but with a hexagonal grid it will never match exactly. While we could use a different shape, I have grown somewhat fond of the hexagons.
Bonus content in the top right by Pomax using 3D cubes instead of hexagons.